Healthy Hearts 101 is offered on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month (excluding holidays) with two classes scheduled at 9:30 am and 10:30 am. Each class session lasts for 1 ½ hours and can accommodate up to 60 students per session. Smaller groups are welcomed!
Classes are held in the St. Joseph’s auditorium. Students first participate in a lecture that addresses the effects of heart disease and smoking. The lecture portion of the program includes a movie of an actual open-heart surgery performed by Dr. Manak Sood. Following the lecture, students are given the opportunity to participate in the “hands on” portion of the program.
The program staff requests the following of those who choose to attend:
- Students are to be divided into groups of five prior to their arrival. There is to be a minimum of one chaperone per group.
- Students are encouraged to eat only a light breakfast the morning of the class.
- Students are to be instructed in advance of their arrival that they will be in patient care areas and that noise is to be kept at a minimum.
- Light clothing is encouraged. In cooler seasons, a designated area for jackets/coats is provided.
- If students choose not to participate in a particular activity, they may step out, while remaining respectful of those around them.
- Students, at all times, are to remain respectful of the direction given by program staff and the equipment used.
To schedule class sessions or inquire about Healthy Hearts 101, please call 734-712-5204.