For over 25 years the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System has delivered a remarkable patient experience for those needing specialized treatment due to a disability, illness or injury. As an established medical patient unit, we're leaders in delivering the latest technology with compassionate care.
We'll work with you toward achieving your highest level of function possible. Diagnoses include but are not limited to traumatic brain injury, stroke and other neurological disorders, spinal cord injury, amputation, and orthopedic disorders.
Our multidisciplinary treatment programs address your medical issues as well as the functional challenges you may be facing, such as impaired mobility, cognitive problems, communication difficulties or psychological concerns.
The 35-bed unit includes large private rooms with individual toilet/shower and family zone with a sleeper chair.
- Comprehensive evaluation and management by a board certified physiatrist
- Functional evaluation by the rehabilitation team to determine strengths and areas of disability
- Individualized treatment plan to address patient's needs, including restoration of function, compensation for lost skills, counseling to adjust to multiple challenges and testing of new skills
- Post-discharge planning for outpatient services, day treatment, home care, transitional living or extended care facility-based treatment
- Jennifer E. Doble, MD
- Owen Z. Pearlman, MD
- David P. Steinberg, MD
- Marc Strickler, MD
Our comprehensive rehabilitation team includes:
- Physician assistant
- Rehabilitation nurse
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Speech-language pathologist
- Therapeutic recreation specialist
- Clinical nutritionist
- Case nurse manager
- Social worker
- Spiritual care
- Driving evaluator
- Collaboration with external case managers and care providers
- Medical stability to actively participate in three hours of therapy per day
- Significant functional impairments that require a high level hospital-based rehabilitation, where needs cannot be met in a less intensive setting
- Condition requiring the 24-hour availability of a PM&R physician and registered nurse with special training or experience in the field of rehabilitation
- Reasonable and achievable goals that require the intensity of an inpatient setting
To learn more about our specialized program, all our Admissions Coordinator at 734-712-8674.