Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

A Top Michigan Heart Hospital: The Michigan Heart and Vascular Institute

Heart Hospital in Ann Arbor

Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute
at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital
5325 Elliott Drive, Suites 201, 202 and 203
Ann Arbor, MI 48106

Our cardiovascular program has been a pacesetter for excellence and innovation since it began in the 1950's. Today, cardiovascular care at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is provided through the Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute and served by a group of more than 40 leading cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, vascular surgeons, and interventional radiologists.

Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute is a comprehensiveMichigan heart hospital and cardiovascular care center, serving thousands of patients each year. Our physician specialists have been recruited from the top programs in the country, and have consistently been at the forefront of health care delivery. In addition to providing patient care, our physicians train other physicians and are involved with testing the latest medications and breakthrough medical devices.

Our cardiovascular specialists have worked together with primary care physicians in Michigan to form one of the largest and most comprehensive cardiovascular programs in the country. Our team of physicians, nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nutritionists, professional technologists, social workers, and exercise physiologists provides a full spectrum of services to meet your needs.

At our heart hospital, we are committed not only to having the latest technology, research, and state-of-the-art medical and surgical treatment, in Michigan but also to the prevention of cardiovascular disease and its progression–through extensive educational, rehabilitative, and support programs.

When you come to Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute at Saint Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor Hospital, our specialists and staff will give you the very highest quality of care. Our team includes:


Registered nurses provide care through a variety of roles. Your nurse is often your strongest advocate and a critical link to your doctor. If you’re hospitalized, a registered nurse is responsible for your daily care, such as evaluating your condition, giving you medicine, educating you about your condition, and assisting in your recovery.

A case manager, also a registered nurse, assists in facilitating your home care and/or discharge needs.

During a special procedure or test, you may encounter a registered nurse assisting you and your doctor.

Clinical nurse specialists may visit you in the hospital or in your doctor's office to help you prepare for a procedure or surgery, check on your progress and/or discharge needs. These nurses have had special training or experience in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery.

You may be seen by a nurse practitioner, a nurse whose education is beyond the bachelor's degree level and who has specialized in a specific area of cardiovascular medicine. Nurse practitioners often see patients in the office independently from a physician. They are wonderful information resources and work closely with the physician.


Your medical care is directed by your physician–your primary care physician, cardiologist or surgeon. In the hospital, your doctor may also be assisted by medical or surgical residents, physician assistants or, in some cases, by what is called a hospitalist physician.

Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute is fortunate to have a group of cardiovascular specialists that provide state-of-the-art care. Many of the cardiovascular physicians at Michigan Heart & Vascular Institute have specialized in specific areas, and your doctor may ask more than one of these sub-specialists to help direct your care. Through our closely coordinated team approach, you may be seen by one or more of the following individuals:

A physician specializing in the medical aspects of cardiovascular disease such as coronary artery disease, heart attack, valve disorders, congestive heart failure and arrhythmias.

Cardiothoracic Surgeon
A specially-trained surgeon who performs operations such as coronary bypass and valve, aorta, and lung surgery.

Vascular Surgeon
A surgeon specializing in blood vessel diseases and operations on your blood vessels such as bypass, carotid and aortic surgery, and aneurysm repair.

Interventional Cardiologist
A cardiologist who specializes in opening arteries using such procedures as angioplasty or stent placement in your heart.

Interventional Radiologist
A radiologist who also specializes in opening arteries with angioplasty or stent placement (in your legs or kidneys).

Cardiac Electrophysiologist
A cardiologist who specializes in abnormal heart rhythms, puts in pacemakers and defibrillators, and performs special procedures on arrhythmias.

Nuclear Medicine Specialist
A cardiologist or radiologist who performs or interprets heart studies such as the nuclear stress test.

A cardiologist with special training in advanced ultrasound techniques who performs transesophageal echocardiography.

Lipid Specialist
A physician who has special expertise in cardiovascular disease prevention and the management of high cholesterol.

Physician Assistants
Physician assistants are specially educated and trained, often in a particular area of cardiovascular medicine, like cardiac surgery, and may help you evaluate your progress while hospitalized or assist the surgeon in the operating room. They are also available to answer any questions you or your family have about your care.

Some diagnostic or therapeutic procedures require highly-trained technicians or technologists. They assist the doctor and/or nurse in performing the technical aspects of the procedure.

Exercise Physiologists
Your exercise physiologist is your constant companion during stress testing and while you're participating in cardiac or vascular rehabilitation. This individual is specially-trained to help you recover from a heart attack or heart surgery.

Nutritionists or registered dietitians can assist you in understanding which foods are helpful and which are potentially harmful. They are experts in diet prescriptions, especially if you have heart failure, high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol. They may visit you in the hospital or they can be consulted if you are an outpatient.

Social Workers
Social workers help you deal with the affects your illness or condition may have on your life. They can help you find extended care facilities, refer you to the right program for substance abuse, help you understand the role your emotions play in your recovery and, in some cases, find other mental health providers to be of further help.

A Member of Trinity Health
© 2015 Trinity Health

St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor | 5301 McAuley Drive, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 | 734-712-3456